I realized this past weekend that I made a huge "uh-oh!" I totally forgot to post an "August Favorites + Looking Ahead" post. Oops. I'm sorry y'all! And what's even more odd is that August is my favorite month. I guess between being busy, enjoying life and the end of summer, I totally forgot this post.
Since we're well into September it's a little late to do a "recap" post, so I decided to bring back an old favorite... "life lately." That way we can focus on what's been happening overall + look ahead at what's to come this fall.
Let's dig in shall we?!
How gorgeous is this fall bouquet I picked up at Eastern Market last weekend?!
Fall: We're less than two weeks away from the official start to the new season. But I'm sure my closet and apartment would make you think otherwise. Let's just say, the fall decor is in full swing around the Royster household, ha!
You're probably wondering why I immediately switch to fall mode post my birthday. Well my friends, because fall is the shortest season in the sense that post Halloween, everyone's focus is on Christmas. Fall is my favorite, so I want to enjoy all it has to offer for more than a month. That means once August 16th (day after my birthday) rolls around, it's "all fall y'all!"
Weekend at Bluemont: this weekend I'm heading just outside the city to stay with Lauren again for a weekend at the wineries (and in the country, ha!). Bluemont is probably my favorite winery in the area. The views alone are worth the visit.
I'm heading out with Jenn and Laura for a mini-girls getaway. We've been planning this for awhile, so I'm excited to get out of DC (even though not that far) for a few days. The weekend will be full of fun, winery hopping, lots of wine drinking, antiquing, eating and of course snapping a few photos for the blog. The perfect weekend, am I right?!
This photo is from my last visit to Bluemont in May of last year. This photo doesn't even do the view justice!
Yearly Skin Cancer Screening: let this serve as my yearly public service announcement! Every October I head to my dermatologist not just for my yearly checkup, but also for a skin cancer screening. While I've been very fortunate, health wise, that doesn't stop me from always taking precautionary measures. It's SO important that you get a FULL body scan once a year. There's so many areas on our body that are easily missed or hidden (i.e. your back, scalp and in between your toes). In the same rate, we're not professionals. So what may look "normal" to us, may look suspicious to the doctor. It never hurts to have a professional take a few minutes to check.
There's no excuse to not do this! Most insurances will cover one screening per year, and the full body scan takes about 10 minutes. So my best advice is to pick a month that is easy to remember, and make a reoccurring calendar reminder to make an appointment with your dermatologist!
Upcoming Travel: I have a few things planned so far for the fall:
- Knoxville // I'll be heading to my hometown next weekend for a few days. I'll be presenting the featured charity from Taste of the South 2016 (read more about this here) their large check + meeting representatives from the organization. I'm so excited to finally hand over the LARGE donation we all worked so hard on this past year. I'll also be enjoying a few days at home with the family + cheering on my Vols vs. Florida on Saturday! It's going to be a great weekend on Rocky Top!
- Knoxville // and then it's back to Knoxville in mid-October for the Tennessee vs. Bama football game. Long considered the Vols' biggest rival, it's hard to miss this match up, especially when it's in my hometown.
- Wineries // definitely want to get out to the Virginia countryside several times this fall! I'm kicking things off this weekend, but hope to head back to some other areas nearby over the next few months. Just outside of DC, there are tons of amazing wineries, breweries and small towns to visit. So I'd love to explore more close to home this year!
- Then next thing we know it's Thanksgiving and onto the holidays! Crazy how quickly 2016 is flying by!
Election Season: election season is upon us y'all! I promise there'll be no political posts on here referring to either candidate, or listing off reasons why you should vote for one over the other. It's all bipartisan here on Primp and Proper, ha! But there may be a few "fashion" related posts in the works, as well as some support for "getting out the vote!" If you haven't registered to vote yet, learn more here. Register, educate yourself and vote. It's your civic duty :)
A few things I'm currently loving: I'm always finding new products to try and my eyes are constantly on the newest Ann Taylor and LOFT arrivals. Le duh. But some other things I'm currently loving right now:
- This Essie polish (Mrs Always Right) has been worn on repeat lately. The perfect fall transition color.
- My favorite planner was just restocked. Act fast ladies!
- Here's a sneak peek at a top I've been wearing lately + shooting for the blog soon.
- This tumbler has really helped me step up my water intake game. Using it daily.
- I'm reading a book by my local Church's Pastor, Pastor Mark. It's called Chase the Lion. I'm a few chapters in and really enjoying it. Pastor Mark does a great job putting the Word in a more easy to understand format, by injecting humor and personal recounts of his own life's happenings. If you're looking for a new read that's positive, uplifting, and not extremely scripture focused, I highly recommend Chase the Lion.
- Just ordered this pumpkin shaped pie dish to carry homemade apple pies in to parties this fall.
I'm shooting with a new photographer (new to me) this weekend and I'm really excited about it! I've been wanting to work with Rosa for awhile now, and our schedules finally lined up perfectly to do so. I have four looks I'm shooting with her, and I can't wait for y'all to see these outfits. They're a little different than what you're used to seeing, but I promise I'm not straying too far from my usual style!
I'm also gearing up to hopefully host my third annual Favorite Things Holiday Party this Christmas. I hosted one a few years ago for the first time in my old apartment and then it grew too large to hold everyone in my 700 square feet space. So I moved last year's to a local restaurant. I haven't decided for sure what I'm doing this year, but the ideas are definitely flowing!
Moving: not sure if you read this post a few weeks ago or not, but I'll be moving to a new apartment at the first of next year (mid-January to be exact). I'm finally signing a long-term lease + moving into my dream building. I'll be sharing sneak peeks throughout late fall and early December!!
This is the first photo I'm sharing of my new place! This will be my brand new kitchen!! I'm already cooking up so many ideas, pinning recipes I'm going to bake, and dreaming of all the holiday parties I'll be hosting.
A few items I've purchased recently: