We all have those items in our closet that we no longer wear, but just can't seem to part with. Mostly because we spent our hard earned money on those pieces and don't want to just see them thrown into a donation bin or given away. I want to know these items are heading to a great home and that others will enjoy them as much as I did. **Side note, I'm not advocating that donating is bad. I do donate quite a few bags of clothes each year. There are just certain items I'd rather sell, that's all :)
So that's when I was introduced to Poshmark.
Since moving into a tinier apartment, my closet size shrank to less than half what I had in my last place. That meant many of my clothes had to stay packed in bins and to be honest, most of those items were things I just didn't wear anymore. Also, my closet was packed to the brim. So purchasing new clothes really presented a problem.
So, to tackle the whole "living on a budget thing" and not having the space, I decided in order to purchase something new, I had to get rid of something old. So Poshmark was the perfect solution.
Poshmark is an online shop that anyone can create, where you can sell your gently used clothing, shoes, accessories and bags. You can literally sell any brand and any price level. A lot of sites or stores only accept designer or name brand items. But let's be honest, we all have those lower or much higher end pieces that we want to sell.
I created an account about two weeks ago and have already sold around ten items, and made about $250 dollars. Doesn't sound like much, but when you think about how much some consignment shops and thrift stores will give you, this is a vast improvement.
All you have to do is create a shop via the Poshmark app. Yep, it's done entirely through your phone. How simple is that? You create a pile of clothes to sell, take photos and add the pieces to your virtual closet. Then, anyone can shop your items!
Customers can either accept the price you list it at, make an offer or add the item to a bundle. A bundle is where a seller like me, can offer a discount. So for me, if you purchase 3 or more items, you get 20% off your entire purchase!! When a customer purchases something, you automatically get an email with a prepaid shipping label. Poshmark pays for shipping!! You then package the item up, place the label on the box and leave with your USPS store or apartment concierge. It's super, super easy.
Here are some tips + things to know if you're looking to create your own shop:
- Add Seasonal items. People aren't going to purchase winter coats in the summer, so unlike consignment shops who purchase items a season in advance, on Poshmark you can sell pieces people can wear now.
- Order free USPS boxes and stock up on tape, tissue paper and thank you notes. Think of your Poshmark shop as a business. People want to be excited and surprised when their box arrives. So I try to wrap the item in nice tissue paper, and always include a thank you for purchasing note + a blog business card. **You can get free USPS boxes sent straight to your home, here.
- Stay active. Just like social media, your shop won't show up in a follower's feed if you aren't active. I figured that out after a huge dip in interaction a week after I started. Once I started adding more pieces, the interactions ticked up.
- Bargin. Whether you're purchasing or selling, you can make a deal. Don't just give things away, but be realistic as well.
- Sell gently used items. Nobody wants to purchase something that's four or five years old and clearly worn out.
- Poshmark does take a percentage of your sale. For instance, if I sell something for $25, I only see $20 of that. But, Poshmark does provide free shipping. So it evens out in the end.
- You can get all the money transferred to your bank account. You can use it as store credit, but it's the same value. None of that, "well we can offer you $100 in store credit, but $20 in cash" business.
- Items that tend to sell well are unique pieces you can't find anywhere else, Kendra Scott and J.Crew. People LOVE Kendra Scott. I sold several pieces in a matter of minutes and even had a bidding war on a pair of earrings.
- You can get $10 just for signing up and creating an account!! Just use the code JXIAA when creating your shop. $10 will automatically be added to your account.
Have any questions about becoming a Poshmark seller? Or questions about purchasing items? Leave in the comments below. You can also shop my closet. Username is @primpandproper. I added a TON of new pieces over the weekend, so hope y'all find something you like! Want to make a deal, feel free to comment on the item or make an offer.
So come on y'all, let's shop together!!