Happy Friday y'all! Man... what a week it has been. Just when I finally got a hold of things, became motivated and excited to get back into the blogging groove... life goes and happens again. Don't you just hate that? Life always getting in the way. So I apologize for the slow blog week.
I haven't really shared what has been going on, but in the attempt to be more open with y'all, let me tell you whats been going on this week.
This past weekend I was home for the first time since April. The weekend was going well, enjoying time with family and friends, and celebrating a big Tennessee win against Georgia last Saturday. Y'all, it was seriously the most exhilarating feeling being back in Neyland Stadium with 102,455 people. My ears are still ringing! It was about time the Vols got a break and a big win.
Any who, after being on such a high... I went to such a low. I found out later that night that my grandfather passed away while we were at the game. He is the first member of my family to pass, and one we didn't expect to leave us this soon. While I'm not going to share any more details than that, I do want to share a little bit about the man he was.
Some of you may recall, I went down to Tennessee back in April to help award my grandfather the Bronze Star Medal and Act of Valor. He was a Korean War Veteran who waited 60 years to receive these honors. It was the best feeling in the world to be able to make that happen for him, and be able to be there for the ceremony. Bobby was also a police officer for many years, and the Police Chief of Knoxville.
He was honored this past Wednesday with a full military and police honors at his funeral. He wasn't just my hero, but a hero to many. And that showed. It was quite the outpouring of support and attendance from many in the community. Some, whom he had never met, but impacted in his service to the city. While I had some circumstances that kept me from being there, it was such a blessing to see how many people were.
He will always be my courageous, wonderful and strong grandfather. I know he's in a better place. Honestly, I feel like God needed someone up there to help serve him even more so than he did down here. So knowing that, comforts my family and I tremendously.
To make sure we're ending the week and starting the weekend off on a great note, let's talk some link love and fashion shall we?
Shop With Me
- The brand new Kendra Scott Winter Collection launched this Wednesday. Shop the Mirror Mirror collection here, or via the widget below. I pulled a few of the pieces I've got my eye on.
- I finally gave in and tried a fall lip stick. I'm usually a nude gloss kind of gal, but decided it was time to give color a try. I found this matte lip pencil and I'm obsessed.
- Still haven't decided how I feel about lace up flats yet, but these might help me decide.
- Loving this poncho! Oh, and it's a steal at $30!
- More new arrivals from Draper James! Loving their outerwear!
- Once again, you can NEVER have enough blanket scarves.
- The perfect LBD for work! Pair with tights, booties and a fun statement necklace!
Links I'm Loving
- In case you didn't already know if you're basic or not, here's how to tell. #guilty
- Apparently one major restaurant group in NYC wants to do away with gratuity for servers. Personally, I don't think this is a good move. But what do you think?
- My friend Bree has been sharing a great Blogging 101 series on her blog lately. If you're new to blogging or thinking of starting one for yourself, definitely checkout her recent posts.
- Congrats to My Style Vita and Poor Little It Girl on their launch of The Blog Societies this past week. Now, anyone in the country can apply to join this group (formally The Southern Blog Society). Interested in joining? Apply here.
In Case You Missed It
- It's National Breast Cancer Awareness Month! You can do your part by shopping for a cause. See which brands are giving back a portion of their sales this month!
- My favorite treat for fall! Checkout my recipe for pumpkin bread. It even makes muffins, cupcakes or a cake.
- See how my blogger friend Alicia and I styled the same J.Crew shirt, two very different ways!
- Marsala -- The Color of Fall // shop some of my favorite Marsala colored pieces!
Coming up next week on the blog: This weekend I'm heading to Butler's Orchard with my blogger friend Alicia! So I'll have some fun recap posts from that + an Instagram roundup + steps you should be taking now to prepare for the holidays!! All that + more, as I hopefully can really get back into the blogging swing of things this time. Have a great weekend y'all!