One of the most popular questions I get asked about my life and blogging, is what do I read on a daily basis. While I have a full-time job in politics during the day, it can be hard to keep up with everything going on. So I've narrowed my daily reads down quite a bit over the past year or so, and focus on sites and blogs that I know I'll enjoy and can best relate to. I typically read the various mentions below on my way to work, during my lunch break or afternoon coffee break, on the bus or metro, and at night before I go to bed. It really just depends on the day. Read on to find out what those daily reads are!
To get the news... when it comes to staying on top of world news and trending topics, I usually rely on Twitter and several other resources. I'm not one to read twelve pages of text, so Twitter and the sites below, really help break it down.
- Twitter: Some of the key people/publications I follow are the Today Show, Fox News, Breaking News and Politico. These are just a few news resources I follow on Twitter. All of them do a great job in sharing the basics in a tweet and linking to a more detailed article. I can either get what I need from 140 characters or click the link to read more.
- The Skimm: If you don't already subscribe to the Skimm, you're missing out. It's a daily dose of the news, in a short and humorous way. It makes "reading the news" far more enjoyable, and the Skimm does a great job of getting down to the basics. They're pretty middle of the road and share news on everything from world events, sports, fashion and more.
- People Magazine and E! News for all my entertainment and Hollywood gossip!
- I also follow various Twitter accounts of the news stations back in Tennessee. That way I can stay up-to-date on all my Tennessee happenings and not miss anything, even though I'm 8 hours away.
- Twitter: these are the accounts that I follow pretty regularly for all event announcements, DC news + more!
- Daily Emails: While I try to narrow down the amount of emails I get on a daily basis #inboxoverload, I do subscribe to a few daily emails that offer plenty of info about DC happenings and events.
Daily blog reads... initially I had quite the extensive list. Now, things are made easier by saving all of my blogs in one place. Bloglovin' sends me a daily email with all the new posts from the blogs I follow. It's a great way to condense all of the new posts into one email, and I can quickly skim the posts to see what I want to read that day. Some (and I repeat, some) of my daily blog reads are:
- Glitter Guide
- Waiting on Martha
- Glitter and Gingham
- Brit + Co
- A Lily Love Affair
- Pink Champagne Problems
- Sequins and Stripes
- Gal Meets Glam
- What Courtney Wore
And some of my daily DC blog reads are... well, ALL of them!! So many to name, but ones I rarely miss are District Sparkle, Southern Anchors, Alicia Tenise, A Touch of Teal, McKenna Bleu, A Dash of Gold and Poor Little It Girl.
What are some of your daily reads?! I love discovering new resources, news sites and blogs. Leave some of your faves in the comments below.