I never in a MILLION years thought I'd ever make it this long. It's not that I didn't believe in myself, but more so I never imagined I'd enjoy blogging as much as I have. I've mentioned it several times before, but I never started blogging to expand into a business. It was merely an outlet for me to share my life here in DC. It grew to be so much more than that!
I've learned a lot along the way too. Looking back, there were many things I wish I had known or researched before I started a blog. The biggest challenge I faced was figuring out how to keep up with writing posts, and at the same time learn how to even use half the tools out there to expand my blog. So I wanted to share a few tips I learned over the past year for those of you new to the blogging world or simply tossing around the idea of creating one. *Image via
- Educate Yourself // This is extremely important in both expanding your blog and protecting yourself online. Learn how to use the various resources out there. Whether that's simply taking a photography class, all the way to learning how to properly attribute photos or text.
- Be realistic // Set achievable goals. You're not going to be that blogger who has 30K followers overnight and spending her weekends in Paris, staying at a lavish hotel for free. It takes hard work to get there. Set small goals at first, and work towards the bigger benefits.
- Ask // You'll never get what you don't ask for. I also want to bring in the "be realistic" point. When you're first starting out, reach out to smaller brands and new businesses. If there's a brand you want to work with, send them ideas of how you wish to collaborate. A brand is more willing to say yes if you do the work for them.
- You will have naysayers // Not everyone is going to agree with you or like that outfit post you did. It happens. Do what you feel is best, and the amount of supporters will FAR exceed the naysayers.
- Network, Network, Network // This is super important. Attend events in your area, connect with local businesses and bloggers and then keep up with those connections. You never know where one conversation will lead.
- Participate in giveaways and linkups // These are the easiest and quickest ways to grow your viewership. Who doesn't love the opportunity to win something?!
- Listen to your gut // If your gut tells you something is sketchy or feels wrong, odds are it is. Just be careful and do your research about a company when they reach out to you.
- Be positive // Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. This goes for in person and on social media. Don't be that girl that lashes out at her ex-boyfriend through Twitter or trashes fellow bloggers. It will keep future brands from wanting to work with you.
- It's okay to say NO // When I first started blogging, I wanted to say YES to everything! Yes to you, yes to that guy, yes to this brand... EVERYBODY GETS A YESSSSS (in my best Oprah voice). You're one person and only human. You can't do it all. Prioritize what is important and fill in around that.
- Real life comes first // This took me the longest to figure out. I've always been a dive in head first kind of gal. I don't do anything half way. So when it came to blogging I wanted to seize every opportunity. After awhile, I got worn out. Blogging should never come before things going on in your real life. It's all about organization and prioritizing. Make time for you, your friends and having fun.
There are MANY more thoughts I have and things I learned throughout my first year of blogging that I'd love to share. Do you have specific questions? Always wondered something about blogging? Email me! I'd love to grab coffee if you're in the DC area or happy to chat over email if you're not. I'm always happy to help however I can!!
Stop back by the blog tomorrow for a brand NEW outfit post and help me celebrate ONE YEAR OF BLOGGING!!!!!